Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Looking for NFP Stories



I'm looking for stories from women who've used or are using Natural Family Planning.  Although my husband and I ultimately became NFP dropouts--see "My Story" for the reasons--our ten years using that method yielded many benefits.


I first met Linda at a health fair at our local hospital where she was “manning" a booth for NFP.  I thought it took great confidence in herself--or maybe great faith in what she had to offer--for her to sit surrounded by medical professionals offering the more scientifically respectable blood pressure readings, pap scans, mammograms and brochures ranging from nutritional advice to steps for cancer prevention.  Later, after talking it over with Frank, I signed us up for a series of NFP classes.

The other couples at the classes were either Catholics or devotees of alternative life styles.  All were there to  learn about the wife’s fertility and how to cooperate with it to achieve or prevent pregnancy.  The classes were taught by several couples.  One of the teaching wives surprised me by saying that although her husband was interested in looking at her mucous and her cervix, she wouldn’t let him—out of modesty.  Another one of the woman teachers said she and her husband found the periods of abstinence so hard that he once said to her that he knew she loved him even though, at times, it didn’t feel that way.  He, though, was as committed as she to NFP.  They were, I believe, fervid John Paul II Catholics.

Once early on in our NFP journey when we were away for the summer, I phoned Linda to say that we were thinking of abandoning the method because the periods of abstinence were too arduous.  She mailed me an NFP approved booklet that went into a lot of detail on foreplay, the goal of which, the book explained, was to stop short of orgasm--although, should it occur, a c'est la vie attitude was in order.  

I'm grateful for the NFP method that helped Frank and me know ourselves better--body and spirit--to the couples who shared their stories with us, and especially to Linda who made herself available for follow-up advice and guidance.  Any more NFP stories out there?


No comments:

Post a Comment