Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Stories Untold, Lost or Insubstantial




In my quest for new stories, I’ve heard a number that, ultimately, I wasn’t given permission to publish.  In one case, the woman was too anguished over long-ago events to want to go public.  (Nor am I sure that telling me her story helped her.  Some memories, no doubt, are better left uncovered.)  In another case, a blithe spirit recounted a lively tale of her younger days, and then, upon reflection, opted for discretion. 
Then there are the lost stories.  Recently, a friend who was raised Catholic but has not remained in the Church told me that she has no recollection of birth control being an issue for her parents or aunts or uncles, that the entire Catholic experience felt remote.  I think it important to collect and share what family stories we can because those narratives contribute to wisdom and truth.  The “Greatest Generation” has mostly departed this earth, leaving stories in the memories of their survivors, stories with “sell-by” dates.  I will continue to search these stories out.
Then there are the stories that aren’t.  Often when I talk with Catholic adults of child-bearing years I’m surprised at how unaware they are of the Church’s teaching on sexual morality.  Both cradle Catholics and converts, for instance, seem to feel free to choose among all types of birth control, the exception being the women writing for blogs that espouse NFP, not people I see in person.  The young adult Catholics I see in person are actively seeking spirituality, community and ethical living for themselves and their children.  Their religious journey appears to me remarkably free of what some might term “baggage.”



No comments:

Post a Comment