Monday, February 18, 2013

Flying in the Face of Church Teaching

The story below comes from the blog MomsRising.   I've left in a fair amount of argumentation because it seems to be integral to the story/personal experience.

Having been a lay minister in the RCIA program and a catechism teacher for years I am very well informed about the Catholic Church’s teaching on birth control. I have read West, Everett and the Theology of the Body.

My husband and I did use NFP for a number of years until I acquired an ovarian tumor after our second child and had to have a radical hysterectomy/oophorectomy. Since then I have been able to analyze church teaching through both a pastoral lens and from the standpoint of no longer being personally emotionally involved in the teaching because I no longer have the equipment that the teaching applies to.

My first experience was that having relations with my husband became stress free after my hysterectomy. This was very freeing for me personally and for our marriage and it flew in the face of what I had been taught about non-procreative sex. My husband and I have been married for 18 years and our bond is stronger than ever since the hysterectomy. It made me wonder why I got to enjoy stress free marital relations when all of my friends of the same age were required by the Church to stress over intimate relations with their spouse. It began to seem very unfair to me. I would hear couples’ stories of struggle, depression, and in some cases the destruction of their marriages from this teaching. It was also an irony that I saw that the best marriages in my parish, the ones that are still standing strong, are the marriages in which artificial birth control was the couples’ decision without question from the very beginning. My experiences have not panned out to look like what West and Everett said they should.

What I have found is that despite the arguments of West, Everett, and TTB the Church has failed to address the very real fact that most Catholics’ consciences are actually very well informed about this teaching despite what the Holy Father would like to believe. I have worked with these couples and families and these people know why the teaching about birth control is what it is, and they do not see that it is transparent to reason, so they have rejected it.

It would be one thing to say that 10% of Catholics reject this teaching and therefore need to have their consciences corrected, but it is entirely something else to take basically the entire Church and say the entire Church needs to be educated. From my experience this is simply not the case.

That is not to say that the Church is a democracy, but rather that if the Church is so poor at persuading people to follow this teaching then something may be going on that the Holy Spirit may be involved in. The Church leadership refuses to pay attention to this and it is suffering the consequences. From my experience this is not because priests are not preaching the teaching, because I have always lived in a parish were it is taught every weekend and the more it is taught the more the parish rejects it. Telling people not to do things because the Church says so is not an effective argument and year after year it becomes less and less effective.

The argument that the laity are not informed is often the lazy argument that Church leaders like to propagate so that they don’t have to fully look at why their teaching is not being accepted and do the hard work behind this, such as humbly admit their error.

No comments:

Post a Comment